The Dubin Center is proud to present a scholarship opportunity for current high school seniors or graduates who have postponed higher education for up to two years and are enrolled to attend a college during the upcoming academic year. Applicants will be asked to explain their experience with either caring for or volunteering with someone who has dementia. The student must be attending or graduating from a high school in southwest Florida (Lee, Collier, Hendry, Glades or Charlotte counties) If you are interested in applying, please contact the Dubin Center at (239) 437-3007.
I. SELECTION CRITERIA
The scholarship shall be available to students who are high school seniors, college students or graduates of Charlotte, Collier, Hendry, Glades or Lee County school districts and who wish to further their educational pursuits. The scholarship is a one-time gift of $1000.00 to a student who has had either a family member or volunteered with someone who has (or had) Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia.
- Applications will be judged and ranked on a point system based on the information provided on the application form.
- Students shall write a 500-word essay describing their experience or encounter with someone with dementia.
- Student shall have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Applications will be prioritized by a panel of judges that consist of Board & Advisory Council members of the Dubin Center.
II. DIRECTIONS FOR APPLICATION
Each application must be typed with pages stapled in the upper left corner. Each application must include information in the following order:
- A completed application form (minus this one page of instruction).
- A 500-word essay on your experience with dementia (separate page – no smaller than size 12 font)
- Signed photo release and current photo of applicant
- Supplemental video about their experience with dementia. (Tik Tok, Insta, YouTube, etc.) Maximum of 3 minutes.
III. C. Applicant must get two letters of recommendation (no longer than one page). Letters of recommendation must be scanned and emailed directly to: email@example.com with the subject of the email being the word “scholarship” followed by the last name and first initial of the student applicant by the person writing the recommendation. One recommendation must be non-school related such as an employer, minister, or neighbor. One must be from a teacher, principal or advisor. None may be from a family member. (Recommendation forms are included with the application.)
D. Completed applications must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email being the word “scholarship” followed by the last name and first initial of the student applicant no later than 03/31/2023